Some people call bed head hair a trend, we call it a way of life. For the girls (present company included) with the habit of incessantly hitting the snooze button and inevitably rolling out of bed late, the accompanying roll-out-of-bed-and-go-hair is more a circumstantial by-product vs. an intentional statement. Needless to say, we’re fully on board with bed head hair as an acceptable, sought-after look no matter where your morning (or night) leads.
But how to achieve the perfect balance of tousled, just-woke-up hair without looking like a hot mess? We chatted with two best-tressed experts to find out, doling out tips for better bed head locks whether you have 5 minutes, or 50 minutes.
To truly roll out of bed and go, Gordon Salon Owner and Master Hair Designer Tony Gordon suggests following these easy steps:
1. “The bed head hair look works best when you actually sleep on your hair, so use dry, end-of-work-day hair and style before bed. With dry or slightly damp fingers, rub a medium-hold paste such as Aveda’s Control Paste between your thumb and index finger.
2. “Twist your ends like they are the ends of a handlebar mustache. While the paste produces a controlled messy look, it won’t stiffen up your hair.”
3. “Go to sleep and when you wake up in the morning, simply shake or scrunch your hair and style as you like.”
[Related: The Best Pillows For Every Kind of Sleeper]
Have a few more minutes? Follow these tips from Julianne Bryce, Senior Hairstylist of George The Salon:
1. “For a tousled bed head look, I would suggest misting dry hair with a beach or texturizing spray like White Sands UnderCover Styling Spray.”
2. “Next, blast with cool air from a blowdryer until dry.”
3. “Curl hair with a 1″ – 1 1/4″ inch iron. You can also leave the ends straight if you like.”
4. “Allow hair to cool, then flip your head over and shake out the curl.”
5. “Spritz a final mist of beach spray to add even more undone texture, if desired.”
Is your hair naturally textured already – or curly? Bryce recommends using Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture’s Coconut & Moringa Oils Curl Refresher Mist in the morning to reactivate your curl and help remove frizz. For fine hair, Bryce suggests using a dry shampoo to keep your bed head style looking fresh and oil free longer. We recommend got2b’s Rockin’ It Dry Shampoo or Volumizing Styling Powder.
Check out the aforementioned product recommendations in the gallery below; click the links above to shop.