In your ultimate guide to winter weather activewear, we’ve scoured the web to find 46 pieces of stylish x functional wares perfect to transition from outdoor workout to wherever the day takes you. Plus: we chatted with cold weather workout expert Kari Traa, Norwegian former Olympic freestyle skier (she took home the gold for moguls in 2002’s Salt Lake games) and designer of her own namesake activewear line, to get a few tips on staying warm amongst the elements. Now keep calm and (winter) workout on.
Kari: “There’s no reason to stop working out outdoors when the temperature drops! Remember to dress in layers and in particular, make sure you have on proper base layers to keep you warm and dry.”
Column 1, top to bottom:
1. Sweaty Betty Optimal Training Hoodie in Black ($255.00). This thermal hoodie not only boasts waterproof and windproof panels for all-weather training, but features 360 degree reflective strips for smart nighttime visibility.
2. Ultracor x Bandier Stealth Nano Malarko Print Bomber Jacket ($260.00). This Bandier exclusive features a stand shawl collar along with cuffing at the wrists and hem to keep cold weather out – plus you’ll probably be the only one hitting the pavement in a custom print by London artist MALARKO.
3. L.L.Bean Ultrasoft Sherpa-Lined Hoodie in Dark Grey Heather ($59.99). Can we say cozy? This inviting hoodie is lined in plush sherpa fleece for the ultimate in cold-weather comfort.
4. Kari Traa Svala Hooded Long Underwear Top in Rose ($80.00). Former Olympic freestyle skier Kari Traa knows a thing or two about staying warm amongst the elements, which is why she created her own namesake active wear line specifically designed for cold weather workouts. This hooded base layer top is no exception, featuring a unique blend of dri-release® polyester and wool to wick away moisture, dry quickly and add warmth.
5. adidas STELLASPORT Climawarm Zip Tee in Granite ($65.99). This training shirt insulates on chily days with breathable climawarm™, an adidas insulation technology offering warmth-trapping properties without overheating.
6. Athleta Altitude Down Vest in Sapphire Blue Print ($70.99). This FeatherDry 800-fill down vest is wind and water resistant, designed to provide unmatched warmth with minimal weight.
7. Alo Yoga Cabin Pullover in Dark Heather Grey ($128.00). Between a Triblend + Teddy Bear Fleece exterior and a soft sherpa lining interior, the only downside to this is you may be so cozy you’ll be tempted to rethink that outdoor run.
8. Lululemon Vent it Out Jacket in Blooming Pixie Raspberry/Black ($138.00). We love the super high funnel neck and stowable hood on this wind and water resistant running jacket, featuring Lulu’s signature thumb loops to keep sleeves down and air OUT.
Column 2, top to bottom:
9. Heroine Sport Training Jacket in Tread Print/Black ($100.00). This multi-purpose layering jacket is wind and water resistant, plus is stylish enough to take you from outdoor workout to indoor happy hour.
10. Old Navy Go-Warm Max Fleece Hybrid Jacket in Kelp Forest ($25.00). Featuring Go-Warm Max technology to generate and retain heat for ultimate warmth, this Micro Performance Fleece zip-up is a STEAL at just 25 bucks.
11. L.L.Bean Polartec Power Dry Stretch Base Layer, Lightweight Long-Sleeve Crew in Shale Grey ($29.99). Antimicrobial Polartec® Power Dry fabric is fast-drying and pill resistant, while thumb loops prevent roll-up on this seamless base layer.
12. The North Face Caroluna Jacket in Forest Night Green Heather ($120.00). The perfect marriage of style and comfort: we love the extra-long tunic length and high funnel neck of this quilted, Raschel fleece-lined jacket.
13. CALIA by Carrie Underwood Women’s Cold Weather Printed Funnel Neck Shirt in Cable ($48.99). Made from lightweight insulating BODYWARM fabric, this top traps body heat while allowing sweat to escape – and without adding bulk. Plus: a longer length in the back keeps your bum toasty, and covered.
14. Blanc Noir Mesh Inset Puffer Vest in Grey ($159.00). Providing a streamlined take on the traditional bulky puffer look with a slimming chevron design, this polyester down-fill vest keeps you cozy with an oversized hood, but won’t overheat thanks to breathable mesh paneling. Plus: we love that this vest packs down into an accompanying drawstring bag for easy on-the-go wear.
Column 3, top to bottom:
15. Athleta SoftTech CYA Jacket in Charcoal Heather ($148.00). Sweat-wicking performance, a machine washable wool-blend fabrication (so long, dry cleaners) and an extra-long tunic length to keep both your lady bits, and assets, covered. Need we say more?
16. Sweaty Betty Intensify Seamless Merino Top in Slate/Ultramarine/Blue ($150.00). Whether you choose to wear the detachable collar around your neck to keep cold out or as a headband to protect your ears, this merino blend, colorblocked top will keep you both warm and stylish wherever your workout takes you.
17. Lululemon Scuba Hoodie III in Heathered Lullaby ($118.00). Thick cotton fleece fabric paired with an oversized hood keeps you warm and toasty, while a slightly longer length gives you just a wee bit more coverage than the average zip-up.
18. Old Navy Go-Warm Max Cocoon-Neck Fleece Pullover in Light Heather Grey ($14.00). STEAL ALERT: at just $14.00, you’ll want to scoop up all 5 colorways of this cocoon neck, Micro Performance Fleece pullover featuring heat-retaining Go-Warm Max technology.
19. The North Face Thermoball™ Snow Triclimate® Parka in Black ($349.00). Meet your cold weather dream team: this 3-in-1 jacket pairs a waterproof, extra-long exterior parka with a removable, insulated liner utilizing ThermoBall™ powered by PrimaLoft® technology; plus a removable hood.
20. Under Armour ColdGear® Infrared Tactical Mock in Desert Sand ($54.99). This antimicrobial base layer combines fast-drying, heat-trapping Dual-layer EVO ColdGear® construction with a thermo-conductive inner coating designed to absorb and retain your own body heat. Basically: it gets the job done.
21. VIMMIA Life Force Jacket in Abstract Brush ($123.00). As functional as it is stylish, a high funnel neck, thumb loops and sleek minimalist design make this Nylon/Spandex jacket workout-to-brunch approved.
[Related: read “Holiday Gift Guide: 6 Top Fitness Experts Dish on Their Wish List” here]
Kari: “Wool is essential when it comes to winter workouts. Wool is constantly monitoring and responding to changes in body temperature, providing excellent thermal insulation and helping your body stay in the “comfort zone”. It’s a natural fiber with a unique structure that allows it to absorb moisture and draw away excess heat. Plus, wool can soak up more than 30 percent of its own weight in moisture – meaning it can still keep you warm even when you’re wet.”
1st group, clockwise from left:
1. Under Armour ColdGear® Sublimated Legging in Eggplant Purple ($69.99). This second-skin, fast-drying legging traps heat thanks to a brushed, dual-layer EVO ColdGear® construction, while sweat-wicking properties keep you dry and on the move.
2. CALIA by Carrie Underwood Women’s Cold Weather Printed Tight Fit Legging in Teal Marine Ombre Scroll ($48.99). Ultra-soft BODYWARM fabric traps body heat while allowing sweat to escape in this stylish legging boasting moisture-wicking and antimicrobial properties.
3. Nike Pro Hyperwarm Max Women’s Training Tights in Grey ($52.50). A combination of Dri-FIT French terry and jersey fabrics offer a snug, ventilated fit, while stretch mesh panels behind the knees offer further breathability and range of motion.
4. Patagonia Women’s Capilene® Thermal Weight One-Piece Suit in Arbor Green/Aqua Stone ($199.00). The ultimate onesie: this one and done base layer boasts soft, stretchy and compressible Polartec® Power Grid™ fabric paired with a brushed fleece interior to warm your core, wick moisture and feel smooth against your skin. Plus: Capilene Thermal Weight is bluesign® approved, has 30-100% recycled content and is treated with Polygiene® permanent odor control.
2nd row, from left:
5. Tek Gear® Fleece-Lined Workout Pants in Dark Midnight Heather ($9.99). ULTIMATE STEAL ALERT: Soft fleece lining paired with moisture-wicking properties and a drawstring waistband make these the perfect workout-to-wherever pant. Did we mention they’re only $9.99?
6. Spiritual Gangster Ballet Knit Legging in Black/Crimson ($75.00). This color-blocked, Spandex Sweater Knit legging is the perfect blend of style and comfort – and our pick for cool weather morning yoga sessions.
7. Kari Traa Long Underwear Bottoms in Sea ($100.00). Soft Merino Wool combined with moisture-wicking properties make these fair isle print bottoms your go-to base layer for cold weather activities.
8. The North Face Women’s Isotherm Tights in Black ($140.00). These mid-weight winter running tights feature stretch-knit panels for comfort, while element-resistant WINDSTOPPER® fabric deflects strong gusts of wind and light rainfall. Plus: clever silicone gel elastic at the ankle hems keep fabric from riding up.
3rd group, clockwise from left:
9. Under Armour Storm Armour® Fleece Pants in Midnight Navy ($54.99). Armour® Fleece fabric finished with water-resistant properties pairs with a brushed, heat-trapping interior plus a roomy, relaxed fit for all-day function, warmth and comfort.
10. Patagonia Women’s Wind Shield Hybrid Soft Shell Pant in Underwater Blue ($149.00). Your go-to for cold-weather x high-aerobic activities, this breathable pant features a windproof laminated front to block winter blasts, while Capilene® Thermal Weight panels allow excess heat and moisture to escape. Plus: Reflective logos on the hip and lower back leg give a bit of flash if you start or end in the dark.
11. SmartWool Women’s PhD® Printed Tight in Desert Purple/Ink ($110.00). Soft Merino Wool against the skin x Nylon/Elastane against the elements, not to mention a hidden drawcord at the waist, make these a style-meets-function no-brainer for cold weather workouts.
4th row, from left:
12. C9 Champion® Women’s Cold Weather Run Tight in Pink Extreme ($29.99). Heat-trapping x moisture-wicking brushed interior? Check. Hidden drawcord elastic waist? Check. Flattering contrast color side panels? Check. Budget friendly price? Double check.
13. Athleta Ski Line Polartec® 2 Tight in Sapphire/Black ($62.99). Expedition-weight Polartec® Power Stretch fabric lends abrasion-resistant, thermal insulation for your coldest training, while a breathable brushed interior keeps moisture at bay. Plus: a fully adjustable continuous loop drawstring never gets lost in the wash, or stuck in the depths of your pant.
14. lucy Girl’s Best Friend Sweatpant in Black ($79.00). This relaxed fit pant is perfect for high-sweat activities while facing the elements, offering moisture-wicking properties, a drawcord waistband and a convenient internal pocket to keep little things close.
15. Nike Pro Warm 8-Bit Tights in Cool Grey/Black ($37.93). Dri-FIT brushed polyester jersey is soft to the touch, while a no-slip jacquard elastic waistband keeps the cold air out in these stylish compression leggings (that also happen to be on sale!).
[Related: read “6 Workouts to Try Now + What to Wear to Each” here]
Kari: “If you’re not that comfortable with wool, (some just don’t like wearing it), you should go for a technical base layer that has a small blend of wool. One option is DriRelease Wool, a unique mixture of dri-release polyester and wool (11%) engineered to keep you dry and comfortable during high intensity activities.”
1st row, from left:
1. Lululemon Bangs Back Headwrap in Heathered Lullaby ($22.00). This extra-wide headwrap is silicone lined to stay in place, while Silverescent® technology (powered by X-STATIC®) helps prevent the growth of odor-causing bacteria.
2. Sweaty Betty Reversible Expedition Neckgaitor ($40.00). Keep your neck warm without over-heating with this reversible neckgaitor, featuring moisture-wicking fabric and a hidden, adjustable drawstring.
2nd group, clockwise from left:
3. The North Face Women’s Etip Glove in Kokomo Green ($45.00). This breathable, fleece-lined glove is touchscreen-compatible with a silicone palm for superior grip capabilities.
4. SmartWool NTS Mid 250 Reversible Pattern Cuffed Beanie in Black/Light Grey Heather ($30.00). This 100% Merino Wool, do-anything essential features an adjustable ear band for more or less heat paired with clean seams for a no-bulk fit.
5. Sweaty Betty Fleece Gloves in Black ($24.00). Your go-to pair of super warm, super cozy fleece gloves.
6. StickyBe Be Love Marbled Leg Warmers in Grey/White ($32.00). We love these stylish cotton yarn leg warmers not just for their breathability and sweat absorption, but also for their too-cute “Be love” mantra and non-slip sole grips.
3rd group, clockwise from left:
7. Lululemon Lengthen Your Practice Legwarmer in Wine Berry/Bordeaux Drama/Butter Pink ($48.00). Super soft? Check. Super cute? Check. Fabricated from lightweight, naturally breathable primo cotton yarns? Check check.
8. Patagonia Women’s Better Sweater® Fleece Gloves in Birch White ($49.00). These warm and cozy mittens convert into fingerless gloves, featuring a sweater-knit exterior and soft fleece interior. Plus: elastic wrists seal out the cold.
9. SmartWool NTS Mid 250 Reversible Pattern Neck Gaiter in Aubergine Heather/Hibiscus Heather ($30.00). This 100% Merino Wool neckgaiter features a double layer interlock knit construction and clean seams for maximum warmth while trimming bulk, and can even double as a hat.
10. Lululemon Run With Me Gloves in Teal/Heathered Black ($28.00). Tech-friendly fingers and reflective details on these four-way stretch Rulu™ fabricated gloves keep you visible, warm, and on the move, while clever snaps let you adjoin gloves together to avoid a dreaded runaway.
[Related: read “24 Athleisure Picks Under $100” here]